Friday, April 13, 2012

Bicolano Grub at Geewan

Being in Bicolandia, I just had to try Bicol Express. Bicolandia should have Bicol Express just about anywhere, right? Wrong! (Or maybe I was looking at the wrong places...) I really had no idea where to find it. Hunger got me hopping on a tricycle and asking the driver to take us to the best place for Bicol Express. Luckily, Mr Tricycle Driver, knew the right place - Geewan.

We checked out the menu board and ordered Bicol Express (the last serving available!) and two other dishes we've never heard before - pinangat and kinunot.


Bicol express has pork, shrimp paste, and, of course, never forget the chilies! Pinangat has taro leaves, chili, and pork in coconut milk, then wrapped in gabi leaves. Kinunot is made of fish, malunggay, and coconut milk. Man, oh man, this has got to be the most delicious meal I've had this trip. So delicious I ordered extra rice twice! Of the three dishes, I like Pinangat best. (I am drooling just writing this blog.) Anyone who knows how to cook Pinangat? Pleaseee teach me how!!!

Note: The above was shared with two other friends. I am not that big of a pig.


Geewan
P Burgos St.
Naga City, Camarines Sur
(054) 472 3888

Other branch:
SM City Naga foodcourt
Ninoy and Cory Avenue,
Naga City, Camarines Sur 


How this Bicolano lunch Bicol expressed thru Mustachio's pocket:
Was so hungry and focused on the food that I forgot to take down notes, but I am sure it did not exceed Php 400 for all 3 dishes and 3 servings of rice. 


Camarines Series:
Camarines Sur: Bicolano Grub at Geewan (you're here!)

4 comments:

  1. I just read about this on Sunstar today!!! Heard the best place for this is Chef Doy's at Naga. Wonder if this is the one? Those are exactly the same dishes. :)


    Babe for Food - your BFF in Cebu dining! :)
    http://www.babeforfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, the place we went to (or where the tricycle driver brought us) was Geewan. If only SunStar published that article in January, then I would have known where to go. But then, Geewan's was pretty delish too! Oooohhhh pinangat, how I miss you.

      Delete
  2. ChefDoy is too expensive for travelers with a tight-budget. Geewan is so-so for the wallet but it is one of the reliable places to go if you want authentic Bicolano dishes and it's been in Naga for as long as I can remember. Try Bigg's too, every person from Naga, have a craving for this esp: tenderloin tips, chicken, cordon bleu (But it is more expensive than Geewan, I think)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I have tried Bigg's...but in Legaspi. Wasn't impressed, but maybe I ordered the wrong dish. Will try your suggestions next time I find myself in Naga. Thanks!

      Delete