Friday, September 21, 2012

Hello Kid!

Photo by Paupau Alvarez
A snippet of the conversation with this twelve-year-old (I'm sorry I forgot his name, foreign names refuse to stick to my brain) that got me smiling.

Do you have a girlfriend?
I don't need girlfriend. I need study.

He was selling scarves and bracelets outside Toul Sleng Genocide Museum in Phnom Penh. His mother makes the bracelets. So why, you wonder, is he not in school at this time. He actually goes to school twice a day, half the day for regular classes and again at night to study English. His studying is paying off, he can easily converse in English. He says he is studying English for he wants to be a tourguide someday. My friends and I wish him well.


Phnom Penh in 24 hours:
Thought You Should Know That...
A Bed to Sleep On
The Royal Palace
Hello Kid! (you're here!)
History Lessons in Phnom Penh
Chews Cambodia
I Came, I Saw, I...Spent 

1 comment: