Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Japanecdote: Learn From Your Mistakes

Learn from your mistakes they say. Learned from my mistake I surely did. After that Where is Bentencho Station experience I was more careful with my train commute in Osaka. Especially on my last ride (which is to Kansai Airport). Because, one, I was lugging two bags (one duffel bag and one backpack); two, I was alone (somehow getting lost alone is more daunting); and three, I could not afford to miss my flight home.

I waited near the back end of Platform 1 of Osaka Station for the Kansai Airport Rapid Service. The train arrived right on time and I saw a train car with the letter S on a blue square rumble by so I knew it was the right train.

Photo from OsakaStation.com

But when the train stopped, the train car that stopped in front of me didn't have the blue sign, but a yellow sign with the letter R. Did my eyes deceive me??? I thought I had the Osaka train system down pat?!

There was a station staff nearby and I hurried towards him to ask if this was the train headed for Kansai Airport. He told me to hurry to the front end, to any of the first four cars, those cars were going to Kansai Airport. I thanked him and half ran towards the first four cars.

Inside car number two, I kept checking the digital screen and listening for announcements to make sure I was really on the right train. I learned, through the constant announcements, that the first four cars made up the Kansai Airport Rapid Service, obviously bound for Kansai Airport, and the last four cars made up the Kishuji Rapid Service bound for Wakayama. These two Rapid lines would uncouple at Hineno Station.

Had I not noticed the yellow R sign on the train car that had stopped in front of me, I would have found myself in Wakayama an hour later! That would have been a disaster.



Japan
Know Before You Go
Single Entry Tourist Visa for Japan
Roam Around Japan with a Swagger
An Ignoramus in Japan: Vending Machines
An Ignoramus in Japan: Bathrooms and Toilets
An Ignoramus in Japan: Manhole Covers
I Spy With My Little Eye: Japan's Fashion Contradictions
I Spy With My Little Eye: On the Go in Japan

From Tokyo to Hiroshima (2015)
10D/9N | Tokyo, Toyama, Kyoto, Hyogo, Osaka, Hiroshima
Tokyo Accommodation: Shinjuku Airbnb
Tokyo: Memorable Tokyo Eats
Tokyo: Odaiba
Tokyo: Doing Touristy Things in Tokyo
Toyama: A Hamlet Called Ainokura
Kyoto Accommodation: K's House Hostel Kyoto
Kyoto, Japanecdote: Wisdom from the Road: On exits #2
Kyoto: By the Thousands (Kyoto Imperial Palace, Sanjusangendo, Fushimi Inari Taisha, Arashiyama Bamboo Grove)
Kyoto, Japanecdote: Turning Japanese
Kyoto: Braving the Crowds at these UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Kyoto (Kiyomizu-dera, Nijo Castle, Kinkakuji)
Hyogo, Japanecdote: If Only I Could Speak Nihongo
Hyogo: Day Trip to Himeji: Himeji Castle and Shoshazan Engyoji Temple
Hyogo, Japanecdote: Am I an Alien?
Hiroshima: Strolling and Snacking in Miyajima
Hiroshima: Remembering the Past in Hiroshima
Osaka, Japanecdote: How to Lose Friends
Osaka Accommodation: Osaka Airbnb
Osaka, Japanecdote: Where is Bentencho Station?
Osaka: Osaka Castle and Tenjinbashisuji Shotengai
Osaka, Japanecdote: Learn From Your Mistakes (you're here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment