Friday, December 12, 2014

Pinocchio

Pinocchio
Carlo Collodi

What? Pinocchio was a book?! I always thought it was just a Disney cartoon! When I found this book in a jumble of secondhand books, I was surprised, then doubtful... I was uncertain if it would be worth buying and reading since I had already seen the cartoon when I was a kid. In the end, my illness called hoarding won.

Oddly, I did not let this book sit in my shelf to gather dust, like I let so many others (especially the classics). And I am glad I did read this book. It was so unlike the cartoon that it was such a delight. Though this was written in serial form in 1881 for kids (and published as a book in 1883), I could say this book would be a little too dark and not really appropriate for kids. So, even if you're already in your 30s, 50s, or 90s, erase that Disney Pinocchio in your mind's eye and give this book a go!

PS. I have a favorite quote from this book: Hunger is the best cook.


For more book recommendations, please visit Go Read.

No comments:

Post a Comment