Monday, October 13, 2014

Wine Lessons in Planet Grapes

I am the ape in grape. 
No culture.
Knows nothing about wine.
But maybe I am right where I need to be.
In Planet Grapes.
To get a little culture.
Without the drama.


Level 4, New Wing, Ayala Center Cebu
(032) 266 0526

 
White wines: Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling.
White plate: Thai-spiced crab cake, danggit, fried oyster mushroom, chicken isaw, quail eggs, squid balls 

Lesson #1: White Wine
Sauvignon Blanc. Chardonnay. Riesling.
All looks (and smells) the same to me.
But with the help of Luke (you can ask any of the Planet Grapes staff about wine),
I got a crash course.

Sauvignon Blanc: acidic; goes with seafood
Chardonnay: creamy; fermented in oak barrels (otherwise, it can taste like Sauvignon Blanc); goes with fish and poultry
Riesling: dry or sweet; aromatic; goes with sweet and spicy food

White wine should be served cooler than red wine.
It should be chilled hours ahead and taken out 20 minutes before serving.

Sauvignon Blanc (sip)
Water (gulp to cleanse the palate)
Chardonnay (sip)
Water (gulp)
Riesling (sip)
I still have no idea how the adjectives relate to my tastebuds.
But, what the heck, I am preferring the Riesling.

Red wines: Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon.
Red plate: salted egg rice, BBQ pork spareribs, rib-eye steak, penne putanesca, beef tapa, BBQ garlic chicken wing

Lesson #2: Red Wine
Pinot Noir. Merlot. Sauvignon.
Pinot Noir: fruity; food friendly; lighter color; goes with pasta (red sauce) and pork
Merlot: smooth; darker (color) than Pinot Noir; goes with pasta (red sauce) and beef
Cabernet Sauvignon: full–bodied (no idea what that means); darkest (color) of the three; goes with red meat

Should be chilled 20 minutes before serving.

I take a sip of each and...
I am still clueless.

Wine: Gewurztraminer
Sweet plate: Banana creme brulee, original creme brulee, durian creme brulee, bite–sized turon

Lesson #3
What was lesson 3?
I have not wrapped my head around all the information from the first two lessons,
but the wine has wrapped itself around my head.
I sit and enjoy my sweets.

Planet Grapes' Enomatic (wine dispenser) machine (left) and the reloadable card used for the machine (right) 

Planet Grapes is a good place for apes like me and non–apes like you to start becoming a wine expert (although I think I am hopeless). Their little Italian Enomatic machine (it's like a wine vending machine!) lets you try different wines from just a sip, a half–glass, to a full–glass. And if you find something really good, bottles of wine are also for sale.


Thank you Planet Grapes.
I got a little culture (or so I think).
And I got a little drunk too.
But I am still an ape.


Watermarked photos from Planet Grapes.

5 comments:

  1. lovely place... kuyog ta ko.. i love wine.. (trying lang nga naay culture.. aw)

    ReplyDelete