Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Seoul Accommodation: Hostel Tommy

I stayed in different hostels/guesthouses on all my visits to Seoul, including this fourth visit. This time, my area of choice was Jongno-gu, where Jongmyo Shrine, Changdeokgung Palace, Insadong, and Gyeongbokgung Palace are.

I usually budget below 20,000 krw per night for a dorm bed. Since my sister, who would be joining me after a few days, chose a private room in Hostel Tommy, I thought it would be best to stay in the same hostel even if their dorm room is a little over what I would usually spend for a dorm, rather than transfer from another hostel.

66 Donhwamun-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul

Location. Hostel Tommy was very easy to find. The stop for the airport bus is only a 5-minute walk from Hostel Tommy. The subway (Jongno3-ga Station) is only 200 meters from the hostel. Within a 10-minute walk are Jongmyo ShrineChangdeokgung PalaceInsadongGyeongbokgung Palace, Unhyeongung, and Ikseon. There are convenience stores and restaurants nearby.

Hostel Tommy

Dorm Rooms. Hostel Tommy has a 2-bed male dorm and a 6-bed female dorm. The bunk bed has power outlets. Each bed has a pulldown shade for privacy. Each dorm room has its own dressing table with stool, mirror, and refrigerator. Each dorm room also has its own toilet and shower. Towel (handtowel size), soap, shampoo are provided.

Private Rooms. Single, double, triple, quad, and 4-/5-person family rooms are also available. Each room has an ensuite toilet and shower. Towel (handtowel size), soap, shampoo are provided. My sister and I stayed in a double room. The room had a dressing table, mirror, refrigerator, TV, hair dryer, rod with hangers, and coat hooks. The room was clean and the room size was perfect—there was enough room to move around even with the two cabin-sized suitcases and the table. It was not cramped at all.

Double room


Breakfast. Breakfast of bread with jam/peanut butter/nutella, eggs (cook your own), cereal, coffee, and tea is included in the room rate and is served daily from 8AM to 10AM. 

Common Room. The common room is brightly decorated and has PCs, games, TV, and cooking and eating utensils for guests to use. When the hostel is full (which is good for the hostel, of course) the common area can get crowded during breakfast. But then that would be a good time to meet and get to know the other guests.

Common Room

Laundry. The washing machine and dryer are free to use, guests only have to pay for laundry soap.

Staff. The staff can speak English and are helpful. Tommy, the owner, is very friendly.

Luggage Storage. Luggage can be left at the guesthouse if you arrive early or if your flight is still hours after check out. And I appreciate that they allowed me to leave my bags while I went to another city in between stays in Hostel Tommy.


Note: I failed to take photos during my stay. All photos grabbed from Hostel Tommy's booking.com page.



No comments:

Post a Comment