The last time I was in Bohol was in 2007. Bohol is just an hour or two away by boat from Cebu and I haven't been back...until July 2013. Why? Because I often take the nearby places for granted. I think, 'It's just a few hours away, I can go tomorrow.' Next thing I know, tomorrow is 365 days multiplied by six plus six months.
Six and a half years later, I have eight hours in Bohol and I go to Sagbayan and Danao.
Sagbayan Peak for two things: Tarsiers and Chocolate Hills.
Sagbayan Peak has five tarsiers
The view from Sagbayan Peak
Admittedly, the view from Sagbayan Peak is not as spectacular as the one in Carmen. But when in a hurry—Carmen is still an hour from Sagbayan, and Corella, where the Philippine Tarsier and Wildlife Sanctuary is, is about 55km southwest of Carmen—Sagbayan Peak would have to do.
Other activities in Sagbayan Peak:
- Hiking—from the main road to the entrance if you don't hire a motorcycle
- Swimming—they have a "water park" (just a pool, really) for a separate fee of Php50
- Eating—both the viewing area and the water park have its own restaurant
- Watching butterflies—they have a butterfly dome at the viewing area
Here's the fastest way to Sagbayan Peak from Cebu:
- Buy a ticket for the fastcraft to Tubigon. The Starcraft ticket booth is outside Pier 3. Ticket prices for Starcraft are as follows: Php200 economy class/Php220 tourist class/Php280 business class. You can find the Starcraft schedule here.
- Starcraft leaves from Pier 3 (terminal fee Php10). Travel time: 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, depending on the craft. The newer ones are faster.
- At Tubigon Port, walk (it's just 500m away) or take a tricycle (Php10) to the bus terminal.
- Look for a bus (Php 30) or van (Php 50) going to Sagbayan. Tell the conductor to drop you off at Sagbayan Peak.
- From the main road, you can either walk or take a motorcycle (Php15) to the ticket booth at the entrance. Going to the entrance you'd have to take the road (long way). Exiting, you can just take the stairs (short way).
How this quickie Bohol trip bore a hole thru Mustachio's pocket:
Cebu Pier 3 terminal fee Php 10
Cebu to Tubigon (Starcraft, economy) Php 200
Bus from Tubigon port to Sagbayan Peak Php 30
Motorcycle (habalhabal) to Sagbayan Peak ticket booth/entrance Php 15
Sagbayan Peak entrance fee Php 30
Chocolate Hills and Tarsiers at Sagbayan Peak (you're here!)
A Giant Swing in Danao, Bohol